Sunday, August 8, 2010

Turkey Gravy

Once you start cooking turkey, you've got to master gravy. Over the years I felt I had been pretty successful at this task. However, every once in a while you would get a batch that wouldn't turn out. You know what that means; LUMPS. I usually guessed on the amount of rue to add and sometimes it would leave lumps, or I was adding more because it was still too thin.

Several years ago I was watching the Rachel Ray show and she showed how to make gravy by making the rue first. I had always added the rue at the end. Plus I used milk and flour whereas she used butter and flour. Since that day my gravy has turned out wonderful every time. It is so much easier. Now I know that anyone can do it. I will admit, that I sometime still guesstimate on
the amounts, but that's what cooking is all about. Have fun!

Turkey Gravy
Submitted by Barbie

Pour turkey drippings into measuring cup through a strainer.



Melt 4 Tbsp. butter in saucepan over medium heat.
Add 4 Tbsp. flour and mix with wooden spoon.



Let cook for one minute.



Stir in 2 cups turkey drippings (or any stock) and whisk together.



Turn heat to high.
Continue to whisk until boiling.



Immediately reduce heat to low.
For thinner consistency, add more drippings.

No comments:

Post a Comment